Residential care is a model of support for children and young people living in out-of-home care. Residential care provides young people with a place to live and 24-hour in-home carer support when they are unable to live with family, kinship carers or foster carers.
Young people in residential care are generally between 13 and 18 years old. Many have experienced abuse, neglect or violence and are some of the most vulnerable young people living in our community.
Our staff care for children and young people (up to 4 per house) 24-hours a day and manage the day-to-day running of the home.
Our Residential Care Program and staff assist young people:
- with school or education
- to meet their health needs
- to develop their independent living skills
- to develop interests and hobbies
- to identify and achieve their goals
- build connections to their culture, community and families (where possible).
Therapeutic approach to residential care
Therapeutic Residential Care (TRC) uses a trauma-informed, relationship-based model of care to help young people heal from trauma.
Berry Street’s therapeutic service, Take Two, supports our Therapeutic Residential Care houses. Take Two clinicians provide support staff with advice and strategies to better support the young people they are caring for.
Often young people in TRC have complex needs and have experienced significant trauma. TRC creates a space where they can start to feel safe and continue their growth and development with nurturing and trusted adults.
Each young person has an individual therapeutic treatment plan and is supported by a multidisciplinary team. Care staff support young people to:
- develop self‑awareness
- create new coping strategies
- heal from their trauma.
Berry Street runs Residential Care Programs in our 5 regions across Victoria. All referrals are from the Department of Health and Human Services in Victoria.
For more information, please contact your closest Berry Street office:
- Western Victoria (Western region)
- Melbourne’s south eastern suburbs (South Eastern region)
- Melbourne’s northern suburbs (Northern region)
- South Eastern Victoria (Gippsland region)
- North Eastern Victoria (Hume region)