Parenting and family services
Tuning in to Kids and Teens
Tuning in to Kids and Teens® is a suite of parenting programs that focus on the emotional connection between parents and carers and their children, from pre-schoolers to teenagers.
The evidence-based programs, developed by Mindful - Centre for Training and Research in Developmental Health, have proven success in improving:
- parent-child relationships
- children’s emotional competence and behaviour.
It does this by providing parents and carers with skills in emotion coaching, which is about recognising, understanding and managing their own and their children’s emotions. When children develop these emotional skills, they are better able to negotiate the ups and downs of life.
The delivery of the Tuning in to Kids and Teens program in Inner Gippsland is a partnership between:
- Berry Street
- Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA)
- Mindful - Centre for Training and Research in Developmental Health.
Through group work, the program aims to help:
- parents to be better at talking with and understanding their children
- children to learn to manage their emotions
- prevent behaviour problems in children
- teach children how to deal with conflict.
Tuning in to Kids and Teens is free for parents and carers within the Inner Gippsland Region. It is funded as part of the Victorian State Government's Roadmap for Reform.
The program is available to families and carers who:
- have children 3 to 10 years old (Tuning in to Kids) or adolescents 11 to 17 years old (Tuning in to Teens)
- live in Inner Gippsland, which includes Latrobe City, Baw Baw Shire, South Gippsland and Bass Coast.
Who can make a referral
Different types of organisations and services can refer to the program, including:
- early years services
- community service organisations
- Victoria Police
- Child Protection
- The Orange Door
- family services
- family violence services.
Self-referrals are also welcome from parents and foster and kinship carers.