Post care support
The Ready.Set.Rent program offers tenancy support and brokers financial support for young people who have lived in out-of-home care. The program helps young people access and maintain rental accommodation that’s right for them.
Young people in the program need to be eligible for Better Futures support and able to live independently.
How it works
Through using the Everyday Life Skills tool, young people’s existing strengths and life skills are highlighted in areas such as accommodation, health, education and training, social connection and inclusion. The tool also identifies gaps and areas where young people need to increase their skill level.
For young people who are ready to access housing, Ready.Set.Rent provides support with the real estate process, including:
- information and advice on applying for rental properties, including applications for Bond Loans
- brokerage of financial support for rental expenses or board payments
- referrals to employment or training providers to help with resume writing and exploring job opportunities
- tenancy support for up to 12 months
- referrals to the Better Futures program to support with setting up new housing and other basic items they need.
Ready.Set.Rent is open to young people aged 18 to 21 who are eligible for Better Futures supports and who:
- live, work in or have connections to Melbourne’s North or West Metro areas
- are willing to complete the Everyday Life Skills and work towards increasing their independent living skills
- are willing to develop budgeting and money management skills
- are open to shared accommodation if needed
- want to be involved in education or employment pathway supports.
Young people can be referred to Ready.Set.Rent through Better Futures or post care programs, by a support worker or agency, or they can contact us directly.
For more information or to make a referral, please contact us on:
Phone: 03 9450 4700