Your support is changing lives
Thanks to the generosity of all our supporters this year, more of the most vulnerable children, young people and families in our community can be safe, hopeful and thriving.
Here’s how you’ve helped*
Special gifts for children in care
You purchased 6,034 special gifts to give children precious memories on Christmas day, including:
- 1,425 personalised gifts so that children who can't live safely at home had a special gift under the tree on Christmas morning
- 471 hampers containing special items to help create hope this Christmas for victim-survivors and families fleeing violence
- 6 extremely generous supports helped us provide an extra special Christmas to young people in our residential care programs who have experienced severe trauma and abuse
You purchased 2,424 gifts of warmth and comfort in the cold depths of winter, including:
- 481 sets cosy pyjamas and blankets for children entering care to snuggle into and help them feel safe and secure
- 105 care packages for foster carers that were filled with essentials items to help during the tough lockdown months
- 448 winter coats so that children who came into care with nothing could keep warm when they were able to go outside
Other critical support
- You took part in our inaugural virtual fundraiser – Ban it for Berry Street, and gave up a luxury for October to help give children and young people a brighter future.
- You helped us fund impactful research - 'Keeping families together through COVID-19' - which shows that an additional 4,500 Victorian children could enter the out-of-home care system by 2026 as a result of COVID-19. This has led to the government providing critical additional funding to the system.
Ways to continue changing lives
*Source: Berry Street Annual Report 2019/20 (PDF 1,270KB).