Direct personal response
A direct personal response is one of the three elements of redress available under the National Redress Scheme for people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse.
Berry Street is committed to providing a direct personal response for survivors, providing them an opportunity to share their experience, to the extent they wish to do so, and for us to hear, recognise and acknowledge their story.
Once your application has been processed through the National Redress Scheme, you will be offered the opportunity to receive a direct personal response from Berry Street. Berry Street is committed to providing a direct personal response either in writing or through a face to face meeting and will be dependent upon your own individual requirements and circumstances.
If you would like a direct personal response from Berry Street, this can be arranged by contacting the Senior Manager Past Client Services:
Once you have made contact with Berry Street, we will:
- Listen to you to understand how you would like to receive a direct personal response. This will involve a discussion with you regarding the type of response you are seeking that will reflect your individual circumstances and how best this can occur.
- Determine who is the best person to provide you with the direct personal response. You will be able to choose the representative who you would like to provide the direct personal response to you. Berry Street Representatives who can provide a response are:
- The Chief Executive Officer, Michael Perusco
- The Executive Director Services, Jenny McNaughton
- The Executive Director Organisational Effectiveness, Jane Daniels
- If required, we will also appoint an independent facilitator to support you through the process. If this is the case, we will discuss this with you, and as much as possible, provide you with a choice of facilitators. An independent facilitator may be available to meet or contact you prior to a direct personal response occurring, allowing you the opportunity to work through exactly what you may be seeking. The independent facilitator may also attend and support the process to ensure your requirements can be met.
- In providing a direct personal response that involves a face to face meeting we will endeavour to meet you in a place that is most convenient for you. A Berry Street representative and Independent Facilitator (if relevant) will travel to a location that is suitable. All costs associated with conducting the direct personal response will be the responsibility of Berry Street.
For further information on direct personal response or National Redress, please visit the National Redress website.
If you require assistance or would like to arrange a direct personal response, please call 9429 9266 and ask to speak to the Senior Manager Past Client Services. Alternately, please email Redress@berrystreet.org.au