Parenting and family services
Children's Contact Service
The Children's Contact Service (CCS) in Shepparton is an independent service that offers a safe place for changeovers and visits for separated parents* and their children.
The conflict free environment allows children to re-establish or maintain contact with both parents. The safety and wellbeing of children is our staff’s priority.
Our staff understand the difficulties that families often experience during and after separation. CCS promotes positive interaction between children and their parents, when in the child's interest.
We can also support parents to start managing their own parenting arrangements.
CCS is funded by the Federal Attorney-General’s Department and administered by the Australian Government Department of Social Services.
*The term ‘parent' can also refer to a significant person in the child's life. It may include grandparents, relatives or other people important to the child.
CCS offers the following services:
- Changeovers: a safe space for children to go from one parent to another.
- Supervised visits: children spend time with the parent they do not live with. These visits are supervised with a staff member present at all times. Visits are up to 2 hours once a fortnight.
- Low vigilant visits: children spend time with the parent they do not live with. These visits are monitored (not supervised) and suit families who are starting to manage their own parenting arrangements.
How it works
What you can expect
CCS is an independent service that offers:
- a child friendly, child focused environment
- highly trained and experienced staff
- safety and security
- a neutral space and approach from staff.
CCS is available to parents:
- who are separated or going through a separation
- whose child lives in the Greater Shepparton area.
Parents should use the contact service closest to where their child lives.
How to apply
If you are eligible, there are 2 steps to apply for the Children’s Contact Service:
- Complete an application form. You can fill in the form online or contact us for a printable version of the form. You can submit the printed form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by post or in person at the office. Note: both parents need to complete an application form.
- Attend an interview with us to talk about you and your children’s needs. This is also a chance for you to learn more about how the service works. Each parent will attend a separate interview.
When a vacancy becomes available, we will contact both parents. Children will be invited to meet the staff and visit the service.
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
For changeovers and supervised or low vigilant visits
Friday to Sunday, 10am to 5pm
Please remember that you need to make an appointment to use the service.