Parenting and family services
Family therapy (Matters)
Matters is a free family therapy program that supports families who live in Melbourne's North East region. The program works with a diverse range of families who are experiencing challenges with family functioning and connection.
Our therapists support families with a range of issues, including:
- challenging adolescent behaviours
- family conflict
- loss and trauma.
How it works
The program has a focus on improving family relationships and preventing family breakdown.
Our family therapists work with the ‘whole of family’, which allows various family members to attend sessions. This approach gives each family member the opportunity to express their thoughts or feelings, not only about the problem, but also possible solutions.
Matters is funded by the Federal Government.
Matters program outcomes
The program aims to help families:
- strengthen the connection between older children or adolescents and their family
- increase parenting confidence, capacity and skills
- experience less stress, conflict and harmful behaviours
- have more positive family relationships.
Adolescents who have participated in the program often say they feel more supported and better able to communicate with their parent.
Teenage Aggression Responding Assertively (TARA)
TARA is a parent focused workshop that provides information, support and strategies for parents to manage their adolescent's challenging and aggressive behaviour.
Our Matters family therapists run the workshop.
TARA group outcomes
TARA can help parents to feel:
- less alone
- more hopeful
- better equipped to respond to challenging behaviours in a way that promotes safety, trust and connection for all family members.
Families are encouraged to contact the team to discuss their needs and whether the program is suitable.
You may be eligible for the program if you:
- live in the local government areas of Darebin, Whittlesea, Nillumbik and Banyule in Melbourne's North East region
- have a young person aged 10 to 20 years old.
Matters and TARA are based at the Berry Street office in Eaglemont.
To find out more about the Matters program, please contact us on 03 9450 4700.