Family violence support services
Supporting families with adolescents using family violence
Berry Street’s Adolescent Family Violence program operates in Melbourne’s northern suburbs. We work therapeutically with adolescents who are using family violence at home.
This pilot program is funded by Family Safety Victoria and is part of our Take Two trauma-recovery service.
Who can access this service?
The program is free and available to families:
- with young people aged 12 to 17 years who are using family violence at home
- who are living in Banyule, Darebin, Hume, Moreland, Nillumbik, Whittlesea or Yarra local government areas.
The program will prioritise adolescents who:
- live with a single female caregiver or parent
- are living with younger children
- are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless or involved with the youth justice system because of their use of family violence.
The Adolescent Family Violence program uses a trauma-informed approach to support young people and their families to:
- reduce the severity or completely stop the use of adolescent family violence
- build or repair the young person’s positive relationships with parents, siblings, other family, community and peers
- improve safety and stability for all family members
- improve emotional health and wellbeing for the young person
- improve parenting capacity
- reduce family stress, anxiety, guilt and shame.
What to expect
The clinician will come and work with you and your family. They’ll keep your safety front of mind while working with you.
The program provides support so we can reduce the number of young people using family violence becoming adults who continue to use family violence.
How to access services
To access support for yourself or your family please contact us.
Before making a referral to the program, professionals can contact the program to arrange a secondary consult.
Other support available
In the northern region of Melbourne, Berry Street also provides:
- Support for adults impacted by family violence
- Support for children impacted by family violence
- Take Two - the statewide trauma-recovery service for children in out-of-home care
- other child and family support services.